Sunday, January 9, 2011

One Summer




10 days off work can go by really quickly.

Tomorrow its back to real life.  We had a great break though.  Me, Rich, Liam and the inlaws piled into our cosy Ford Focus and did the four and a half hour trip down to Albany.  Let's just say we all got to know each other pretty well.  Long car trips are not a joy with a two year old.  You need to put in the preparation beforehand and I made sure I had it all sorted.  Snacks, drinks, books, magnetic scribbling board...you get the picture.  Cries of 'I want to get out mummy' and constant 'no's' tend to get tiresome very quickly.  And we weren't even out of Perth yet.

But we all got there in one piece.

The sad fact is that it really did take me and Rich a day to switch off from real life.  To not worry about the clock, the mobiles or toddler routines.  On arrival, we did a trip to the supermarket for dinner supplies and the obligatory trolley full of booze at Dan Murphy's (hmmm Smirnoff Vodka Cosmo mix).

I was in such a rush to have my first Cosmo that I accidentally smashed the whole lot on the kitchen floor.  Not a brilliant start.  Nor was the fun of trying to convince a two year old that he really needed to have a shower with dad and consequently screamed the entire holiday village down.  Cue flustered and tired parents. 

After dinner Rich and I took a walk and realised that we did have to switch off.  If we couldn't, there was something wrong.  I think the thing about two working parents is that normal every day life is run by the clock.  To get to the end of the year and realise that we didn't need to do anything by a certain timescale got some getting used to.  But, eventually we did.

I loved our break, and I loved Albany.  Such a cool little place. 

No comments: