Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The essence of Australia


Whatever I wanted to post about this week seems silly and irrelevant compared to what is happening in Queensland, and indeed around Australia.  The devastation in Queensland, an amazing and beautiful state, the bushfires south of Perth, the flooding in Carnarvon and Cyclone Vince which may or may not cross the Pilbara in Western Australia.

Today at work I spoke to a person who was trying to get back to Ipswich.  My heart went out to him and I called him on the way home from work to see if he got to the hotel I booked for him near Brisbane airport.  Unfortunately he couldn't get to the hotel due to the road being cut off by water but he had run into an old friend at the airport and he kindly offered a bed for him.

At such an awful time, I am so proud that we are helping out where possible and showing our kind and generous spirit.  I have been in tears watching the news and have been thinking of everyone in Queensland constantly.

To my beautiful friends in Queensland: Gerry, Karita, Kayleigh, Bridget, Hamish, Mark, Tina, Martha, Dean and family...if there is anything we can do for you in Perth, you only have to call or text.  Thinking of you always and please keep safe.

x

No comments: