Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Reaching out

I am taking some time off work this week to recharge before things get crazy busy again and spend some precious time with my bestie visiting from Brissie and our sons.  Today we went to the beach and it was so relaxing....aahhhh.  Liam chased the birds and waded in the water and it was so great to have that quality time with him.

This afternoon I also met with the CEO of the Spiers Centre in my neighbourhood about doing some volunteer work for the centre.  I was really impressed with what they do for the local community.  They get a massive bread delivery every day and have buckets of clothes for adults and kids, so families can come in and get it as they need it.  As I am somewhat limited in terms of free time and any time I do have is spent with my little family, there are probably only a few things I can get involved in.  They have a creche that needs painting and the front garden needs a good weed.  I could also help with pulling their newsletter together and self esteem seminars they give to mothers who may feel isolated, or want to meet new people or get back into the workforce.

It pains me to think there are families out there really struggling, who don't know where their next meal is coming from or need clothing for their kids.

With household living costs on the rise and the GFC hangover still looming, more people need help now more than ever.

This year I would like to donate some of my time to Spiers and I will go back and do Telethon again.  It was so much fun and when you become a mother yourself, there is nothing worse that having a very ill child.  These hospitals need all the support they can get and Telethon is a fantastic charity.

No comments: