Monday, February 21, 2011

Gratitude



It is so easy to become complacent and take for granted for what we have in this life.

I don't know about you, but sometimes I can wake up in the morning and my mind is racing.

It never slows down.  At night I get into bed and it seems I will spend a good half an hour doing my worrying for the day before I drift off into the land of slumber.  Did Liam eat enough dinner tonight?  Did I return that phone call I was supposed to make?  Did I spend enough time with my husband when Liam went to bed?  Why haven't I called that friend I should have called two weeks ago?

There comes a time when I have to stop.  And breath.  And look around at what I have.

I have an amazing life compared to most people in the world.  I have enough food in my fridge, a home, clothing and my family has access to leading edge medical treatment.  I am earning an income to provide for my family and those I love.

Each morning at work I receive an email from a website for working mothers.  This is something I look forward to every morning.  Today's email was quite inspirational.  This is what I am going to be grateful for and give thanks for every day:

Give thanks for the love in my life – for my family and for being able to have a child and look after my son – many people can’t.

Give thanks for my career and employer for the opportunity to earn income and support my family and my aspirations in life.

Give thanks for the food in front of me – the roof over my head – the clothes on my body – the health I enjoy – for this glorious, abundant, safe country that I live in.

Give thanks for ALL I have in my life – however small or insignificant I think it is. Many people in the world would LOVE to have what I have.

And then focus on what else I would LOVE in my life – what would I really LOVE? And then believing it will come to me….


I hope you are able to dream about what you want.  And what you deserve.

I love the feeling of gratitude.  Sometimes it only takes a moment to appreciate what we have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is so true jo and some people dont realise it until its gone from them...
xxxx