Saturday, April 2, 2011

Our House





When Richard, Liam and I moved back to Perth at the end of 2009, one of the first things we wanted to do was to buy a house.

This would be the first home that Richard and I had bought and our first as a family.  It was a huge moment for us, and pretty much one we didn't want to stuff up.

For a good six months we spent every weekend looking at houses.  Nothing seemed to be right.  There were a few we could have imagined ourselves in, but nothing was grabbing us.  I think buying a home, and we were looking for a family home, is an emotional decision. 

Mermaid Way found us.  There are so many things about this house that are meant to be.   The frangipani tree in the backyard makes me think of a relative who sadly passed away when I was pregnant, and I remember she gave me a bouquet of flowers after her wedding reception when I was 5 and the smell of the frangipani's each morning when I go outside remind me of her.   

The minute we pulled up to the driveway of our home, I just knew.  I am not really a demanding person, but I do remember getting back into the car after the viewing and saying to Rich 'please make sure we get this house'.

I couldn't sleep until we made our offer and it was another day of pacing around before we heard our offer was successful.  6 weeks later we moved in.

We are starting to make our mark now.  Small touches have been added and there are big things we will do at the end of the year.  I love coming home every night.  This house is our home because it is filled with love, noise and life.  I see ourselves here for a long time yet.

2 comments:

Karla said...

That's beautiful Jo. You have a really lovely home x

Unknown said...

Your house looks lovely Jo and Aurelia would LOVE to live in a street called Mermaid Way!