Thursday, April 21, 2011

Love Wisdom Motherhood


Last Saturday afternoon I was out shopping with my two boys when I came across this book in the ABC shop.  I had heard about it and what I had heard, had me intrigued, so I bought it with aim of relaxing over the Easter long weekend to read it.

Too late.  I read it in about two days.  I couldn't put this book down.  I just loved it.  If you are a mum, and especially a working mum, you will adore this book.

In the two and a half years I have been a mother, I have pretended to have it all together.  What I love about this book is that Jessica Rowe lets us know that all mums share the same worries and fears at some stage. 

I am the first to admit that when I had Liam, I really struggled.  Not so much with Liam, but the changes within myself.  Liam was pretty much a perfect baby, who ate and slept well and slipped into a good routine.  He thrived and was happy and healthy.  At one point, I had to accept that I didn't have a handle on things and had to seek help.  I was embarrassed to do so and when I look back on that time now, I realise that I was way too hard on myself and had set myself very high expectations.

I'm so glad I picked up this book.  Its lovely to know that sucessful women such as Gail Kelly and Tina Arena have felt all the things I have felt in the time I have been a woman.  I also got some wonderful tips on how to handle work and motherhood. 

I've always wondered if 'you can have it all'.  I think everyone's 'all' is different.  My 'all' is having a son I am hopelessly in love with.  I have an amazing husband who I love with all my heart.  I have a fantastic job and a very supportive employer.  Saying that, I have good days and bad days.  Yesterday, for example was a bad day and I didn't get home until 8pm.  I missed dinnertime and bathtime and storytime.  The old me would have worked myself up about this and felt horribly guilty.  I did feel terrible, but I realised it was a one off and there was a reason I had to be at work and tomorrow would be a new day where I could start again.  Today Liam got sick and I had to leave work early.  The upside was I got to spend a whole afternoon with him and I made that time up.  So you see, it swings in roundabouts.

Jessica has a lovely way of writing and it was a book I didn't want to put down.  If you're in the market for a good book, I'd say run to your nearest bookshop.

3 comments:

Karla said...

I've heard about this book too and it caught my interest. Will definitely check it out!

Unknown said...

I just finished reading this yesterday Jo and I loved it too. Jessica's writing style is so warm you feel like you are sharing a coffee with her rather than reading a book. I love knowing it is the same for all mums and I really found Quentin Bryce to be the most inspiring interview. It would be a great gift for Mothers Day

Jen said...

Interesting... never heard of it... I will have to check it out!